Pages

21 January 2015

To Take Time

Time and how it is spent is an interesting thing. As a generalization, it seems everyone needs more of it and ... if you've already exited childhood ... find it to be racing by.

And even though I would say this holds true in France, I do find the idea of "busy equals productive" to be a rather peculiar concept here. This is not to say people do not work hard here or lead busy lives. They do. But there is an idea that being too busy is really just a bad idea in general. "It's not good for your health!" I hear often. "One must take the time to enjoy life and beauty. To rest and taste and appreciate."

There is a lot of political discussion of late about whether France should allow commerce on Sundays. Of course, everything except the restaurants close at lunch time, no matter what the day. (From noon to two, you should be eating and resting!) But for the most part, everything is closed on Sundays. Grocery stores, shops, pharmacies, libraries, and often, even the restaurants! At first, we would forget, and find ourselves trying to run errands or pop into the grocery on Sunday. Nope! Plan ahead!

It seems the French are in a great debate as to whether to keep this time-old tradition, Sunday as a rest day, intact. Certainly, there are economic implications to having the entire country shut down one full-day a week. And yes, it isn't always convenient. But can I say ... I like it! It keeps our family together and forces us to slooow down. There is no dashing out for milk or hairspray or a part to fix the bathroom drain. We read. Take walks. Tidy up the house. Play games. Talk. And if you do venture out, what do you see? Families! Families out and about together.

In a lot of ways, France can seem as if she exists several decades in the past. But really ... isn't that part of her charm? Isn't that why we are so entranced by her? For me, even in the inconvenience, the answer is a decided, oui!

So how about you? Would you like your little universe to shut down for a day? Would it drive you crazy?

**Isn't this photo of Pops and Jane rather magical? It was taken from inside the Musée d'Orsay, a former train station in Paris that has since been turned into an art museum. It's in a fantastic location, has a stunning collection of impressionist art, and is so much more approachable than the behemoth that is the magnificent Louvre. (Plus, you won't wait in a line all day!)

10 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this! When I was young not a lot was open on Sundays. I think it would be wonderful if we went back to that. It's like hitting the pause button on life. And not just once or twice a year. WEEKLY. In these busy times...I yearn for that permission to do... not much. (I mean, I don't do much as it is, but the PERMISSION would be awesome! ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, Jill! I so know what you need about just wanting it to be okay to do what you really want/need to do.

      Delete
  2. I think that is so neat! I mean, I could see how it would be an inconvenience if you didn't plan for it, but I LOVE the idea of just slowing down and spending time with your family and resting. I think it is something many of us need to do more of...celebrate in the beauty of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture IS absolutely magical! And I love, love, LOVE the idea of 'chilling' at least once a week, on the day of rest. Although people, fellowship, and activity is very important to me, I have to remind myself that, while these things are good, even more important is spending relaxed, quiet time with family.
    I love this post. Thanks for taking the time to share your heart and all your wisdom with us back here in 'Busy Town'. :)
    Love,
    The biggest little Crow (E)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WISH it was like that here! No Sunday sports would be the best. And that pic is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I would LOVE it, as long as the gas station was open as we stop there to get the cheap gas on the way home from church.

    I was very disheartened when our state began selling alcohol on Sundays. It felt so wrong. It was bad enough that stores were open, but to sell alcohol as well?! I hope you enjoy your relaxing Sundays while they last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can usually find a gas pump at a station that takes a bankcard and is open all the time. But you better have a chip and pin card, because they don't like American credit/debit cards! :)

      Delete
  6. I love, love, LOVE that pic!

    I'm from the 4th largest city in South Africa, which is tiny by Johannesburg standards (millions live here - I think 7 million). When I first arrived I was amazed at how things were open all the time because in PE, everything closed at 1 on a Sunday. It's since changed and I wish we could go back to closing at least at 1 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that photo is stunning. I remember standing at exactly that spot way back (must have been 1989) and just drinking in France for all it is. The almost old fashioned pace, the chic Parisiennes, the wonderful baguettes, the art. I would actually love to live slower.

    ReplyDelete