Pages

08 July 2014

What We Think We Will Miss


Today we were talking about how there are many things we are looking forward to about being in France, but there are bound to be plenty that we miss about the States. It's only natural, no? I anticipate that we won't even know what some of them are until we've actually expatriated ourselves, but we did come up with a few "little things" we are pretty sure we will miss:

Peanut butter. Why is this such an American thing? It's so good!
Family and friends. This is super obvious and not "little," but it still made the list.
Trampoline. No explanation needed.
Snacking. Love to hate it. Snacking is so fun, but it is mindless. I'm actually excited to try a more French meal-based version of intentional eating ... over grazing.

And the #1 little thing we expect to miss:

Gobs of books. We are massive regulars at our library, as we could never afford our book habit otherwise. I am hopeful that our Kindles will help in this area, but the luxury of walking into a giant building packed with free books ... in English ... that's something we will definitely miss!

* What else do you think we'll miss?
**The photo above was taken at our stay in the watchtower in Florence. Don't you love how the books are positioned in rainbow order?

11 comments:

  1. About peanut butter, it's very easy to make at home. All you need is peanuts (raw or roasted ones for snacking), a pan for roasting, some vegetable oil, and a blender (food processor would be easier to get the butter all out). Probably takes less than 30 minutes to make a jar, never timed, it's quick.

    When I first made it, I looked at that sand like peanut something, thinking 'great, this is never going to work,' then peanut butters magically came together. My mind immediately pictured my own peanut butter on a slice of homemade bread, smiling like an idiot.

    Chunky, smooth, sweet, salty, any flavors, it's all up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My church home and family
    4th of July celebrations?
    Thanksgiving - although you could still do your own.
    Favorite grocery stores.
    I would think finding doctors and dentists and a whole new medical system in a foreign language would be most difficult
    But what an adventure! It's worth all the misses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, without a doubt, church home, friends, family ... medical care. Those things are HUGE! But I hadn't thought about favorite grocery stores ... I bet you are right!

      Delete
  3. I'd miss knowing laws. I'm a law abiding lady! For instance, I would be very embarrassed when I was arrested for kissing on a railway in France, it's illegal there's, so don't say I didn't warn you! I'd probably want a pig if I lived in a farm house, but I couldn't name it Napoleon, because I'd be breaking the law! I love taking photos, just like you do and knowing my luck, a police office would speed by and I'd get arrested because It is illegal to take photos of police officers or police vehicles, even if they are just in the background. You have been warned! Text me if you need bail money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, I am cracking up. How on earth do you know these things?? Seriously!

      Delete
  4. As an expat Brit living on Normandy, France there are quite a few things we miss , family and friends are the things we miss the most.
    Most supermarkets in our region have a "British section" so you might be able to find PB, but at a price and you will sometimes find second hand books at a brocante/vide grenier especially if there are other expats in tour area.
    Hope the move goes well, bon chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Maggie. J'adore le français vide grenier. C'est bonne idée! Aussi, est-ce-que vous connaissez "Shakespeare and Company" à Paris? Je voudrais aller!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your comment! It's been WAY too long since I've been over here (the blog is sadly neglected these days). But WOW - YOU have exciting things happening too! I'll look forward to following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loraena! I know, blogland suffers when life calls. But, as it should! Good to see you too. Hope you are well. :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, Anna -
    What a lovely blog! I'm so glad to catch up with you in France.
    My sister has been an ex-pat in several countries, and there are usually groups of Americans who gather to celebrate Independence Day... just in case you should be lonesome for it. American Embassies usually celebrate. And of course, Bastille Day is a quick 10 days later so you can still celebrate in July!
    Love you so much - have checked the blogs you've written after this one, and it is wonderful to hear about your sweet family. xo Auntie Pat

    ReplyDelete