Pages

11 May 2010

Dinner Table Crescendo

• Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp •

This is a very "tossed together" recipe. The measurements are not precise, so increase or decrease as you see fit. This really is a recipe that you can make work depending on how much fruit you have on hand.

For Filling, Combine:
Rhubarb, sliced (about 4-8 stalks)
Strawberries, sliced (about 1-2 pints)
*other fruit combinations should be fine, if you wish!
• 1 c. sugar

After soaking fruit in the sugar for a bit, add:
• 2-3 T cornstarch
• 2 t. lemon juice
• 1 t. vanilla

Pour into baking dish (pie pan for smaller amount, up to 9 x 13" if larger quantities.)

For Topping, Combine:
• 1 c. oats
• .5 c. butter (softened)
• 1 c. brown sugar
• 1 c. flour
• 1 t. cinnamon

Mix well (adding a smidge water if difficulty coming together) 'til large crumbs form. Sprinkle over filling and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or 'til filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown.

**This makes a lot of topping ... but not really a problem, if you ask me.
**If you'd like, melt the butter and use half the topping to press into bottom of pan and top with remaining mix.



3 comments:

  1. I've fallen in love with rhubarb this year. Where have I been all this time! I've got some ready to go in the freezer...just in time for your crisp recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo w/ the heaping topping. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love strawberry and rhubarb together. I think I will have to try your recipe - your photos make it look awfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete