Pages

04 May 2010

A Beautiful Attempt

I'm a little late in clearing out the garden box and starting the spring seed plantings, but I just haven't been ready to uproot these cauliflower plants. Aren't they stunning?

True, they've grown over two feet, like some sort of cruciferous Goliath. And yes, I confess, the yield was a big fat zero. No actual cauliflower grown here.

But really. Gardening is about the process and enjoyment, no? I have a very darwinian attitude about gardening. If it thrives, it's a keeper. If it doesn't ... it better, at the very least, be pretty or it's gettin' ripped out, never to be planted again. And believe me, I've ripped out my share of failed attempts.

I've always loved the quote from William Morris saying, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." Isn't that good? I think it would apply nicely to the garden, as well.

What are you going to try planting this year?

6 comments:

  1. I have a similar attitude abotu survival--you're on your own, for the most part. :)

    I'm going to try some serious tomatoes (yet again) despite my poisonous black walnut tree and their intense watering needs when grown in pots. I really, really, REALLY want a bunch I can can this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Brother brought a green bean plant home today from school. The little sprout in its plastic cup will be the extent of our spring planting this year, unless, of course, you count the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog ~ you have a lovely little home on the web here!! Gorgeous photos! I think I'll be back! We are just starting seedlings for our garden ... a bit late... oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just LOVE that quote...beautiful picture! :)
    I'm attempting to plant A LOT again this year...even though last year didn't do the best...just didn't keep up the greatest on the weeding. My new thing that I'm excited about for the year is my herb garden...just a big galvanized tub I dug out of the barn, but I can't wait to try those herbs and dry them for soups etc! :) Also excited about doing some projects with the kids from the book, "Roots Shoots Buckets & Boots" by Sharon Lovejoy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture and I LOVE that quote! Need to do some more spring cleaning! (=

    ReplyDelete