Pages

22 December 2009

Frothy Goodness

Oh, I do love me some cappuccino. A few years ago we received a Bialetti Mukka that makes a lovely cup, but I leave the operation of it to Pops. You see, I've only recently painted over an espresso stain on the kitchen ceiling. Be warned, a misaligned valve turns into a coffee rocket.

Now, thanks to my friend Kelly, I've discovered a marvelous trick to creating a cheater cappuccino, frothy foam and all.

First, find yourself a microwave-proof container with a screw top lid (little mason jars work like a charm). Fill it about half full with milk or cream (the fattier the frothier!), screw on the lid tightly, and shake it hard for a good 20 seconds.

Unscrew, place in microwave for a minute (less if you have a fast micro), and foamy goodness will soon be yours. Pour the warm milk into a steamy cup of strong coffee, holding the foam back with a spoon. Top with as much froth as you can handle!

8 comments:

  1. makes me wish I liked coffee, that foam looks fun! neat pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip. I love it when I can do something fancy without much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blender makes great froth too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband bought a frother thing that looks like a french press at Williams Sonoma last year so that's what we use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really a coffee drinker, but you make it sound good. And I like the red table cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing as I am not a coffee lover {at all!} the froth is what I consider to be the very best part of a cappuccino.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed-- froth is definitely the best part. Thanks for passing on the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not yet painted over the espresso stains on my ceiling! It finally did happen to me ... about three weeks ago in an impressive Old Faithful-like display. The Bialetti is wonderful but it's tricky, VERY tricky!

    ReplyDelete