Pages

25 October 2009

Vegetables Can Make You Happy

Here's a hearty one-dish meal that's a nice change from the ordinary. Pasta drenched in a balsamic vinaigrette and a lovely roasted veggie mélange. It's also a perfect dish for the eggplant, especially if some family members aren't sure they like it.

Roasted Veggie Penne

Whisk together:
.25 c. olive oil
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1-2 T. thyme

Add chopped (fresh) veggies and mix well:
3 carrots
1-2 zucchini
1 eggplant
8 oz. mushrooms

Spread veggies on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.

While veggies are roasting, boil and set aside:
8 oz. penne pasta

Mix veggies with pasta.

Whisk together:
.25 c. olive oil (a tad less would be fine)
.25 c. balsamic vinegar

Toss dressing over pasta and veggies. Sprinkle with pine nuts and Parmesan cheese if you have it.

**You could beef up this veggie dish with some crumbled bacon or sausage if your menfolk are grumbling!

3 comments:

  1. OH you have the best recipe ideas!!! I am absolutely going to try this one next week!!!! I can't wait! I love one dish meals, but not so much casseroles...which is why we eat a lot of soup and salads...but this looks incredible! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this simple recipe sounds delish. My problem these day is that I'm still having a hard time eating and enjoying a meal after I prepare it (thank you, pregnancy). But, if you'll come to my house and cook this for me I'm sure I'll have no difficulty at all enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. If I could eat this for breakfast right now, I would!

    ReplyDelete