Pages

31 July 2009

Summertime Cleaning

This past year in particular, I've become rather smitten with essential oils. I especially love them for cleaning. It's true, I do sort of enjoy cleaning. That said, it's still a job, so if my labors result in everything smelling fantastic, I find it to be huge payoff. My favorite essential oil uses? The dryer to scent the laundry, in that old musty vacuum bag, and the floor cleaner. Mmmm, yes, my floor cleaner!

I've taken to making most of my cleaners and detergents, but I've found the best wood/floor cleaner to be Glista Clean concentrate. It works well, has fairly "green" ingredients, I can order it online with free shipping, and a quart lasts a full year -- and I wash a lot of floors. In this last batch I made (1 Tbl Cleaner : 1 Cup H2O, in squirt bottle), I added a few drops of lavender and lemon essential oils. Heavenly! Fresh and perfect for summer.

Now. Maybe geranium and lemon for the glass cleaner? Oooo, the excitement!

4 comments:

  1. I love this photo!
    I really prefer natural cleaners, but for some reason there are certain products where "natural" doesn't clean as effectively (dish soap - laundry detergent). My secret weapon around the house...? Baking Soda mixed with a couple drops of Tea Tree Oil and a smidgen of liquid peppermint castille soap. It is the best all purpose scrub I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. I love those ingredients for cleaners, too!

    I've been quite happy with my homemade laundry detergent, but I'm with you on the dish soap. I tried making that, but it just didn't cut the grease well enough.

    It's awfully fun to tinker though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you... I love the fragrant effect of essential oils in my house. In fact, I get excited just thinking about which oils I'll buy next!

    Your top favorite uses are mine too, especially the one for freshening the vacuum bag.

    ReplyDelete