Pages

16 July 2009

A Bright Honduran Day

What a fantastic day. Best day we´ve had yet. Peter is feeling sooo much better and I´m on him like a hawk...Agua, Agua!! We are all drinking a ton. Today we worked on the steel cross beams for the roof, digging trenches, mixing concrete, and our last VBS for 150 children!

At lunchtime we were all to break up and have lunchtime comina with families from the village. Such a great honor. Many of them had to borrow chairs and even silverware for the event. A few families did not eat because there wouldn´t be enough food for guests and themselves. A humbling, humbling experience for all of us but such a privelege as well.

We, along with another couple who speak the language and our own pastor were invited to Ambrocio´s home for lunch! Such joy! I was so excited to see his home. Norma served an incredible meal of fried chicken, beans, rice, and a tuber called Badu. All excellent. This was a grand meal that they would not often have. And the power had gone out so she cooked the whole meal on an open fire outside! Amazing.

After lunch we were driven to Ambrocio´s dental office where they offer up the free services to those who would otherwise have no access. We took pictures and gathered information for our continuing quest to accquire tools and materials for them.

After dinner this evening (pizza at Dominos, how funny is that?) we went to another local church for service. Brick building, dirt floors, a couple plastic chairs and a few cinderblocks with boards for seating for some. The worship and message was joyous. We have so much in America, yet we lack so much. We need more of their passion and perspective.

Today I heard the response of a pastor when asked the question: ¨What is the least I need to do to get to heaven?¨ His response: ¨Just walk toward Jesus. When you get there, you´re done.¨Amen.

Thoughts in brief:

-Honduran hotels do not tuck the foot of bedsheets in. This leads to exposed feet if your husband shifts at all. We now tuck before bed.
-Honduran hotels don´t use blankets. They use a bottom sheet, top sheet, and a top cover sheet. They change the top cover sheet (like a comforter) daily and change the curtains to match! The first time they did this, I thought we´d walked into the wrong room.
-Handmade signs everywhere and always in capital letters.
-It is horribly embarrasing to ask ¨This is Badu?¨ but really say ¨This is Bano?¨which is bathroom. They are still laughing at me.
-I can carry a 30 foot steel roof beam on my shoulder by myself. The hermanos were quite impressed. Well, actually, they were laughing at me as if I was the most peculiar thing they´d seen in a long time, but I was impressed with myself.
-Getting concrete out of fabric is not as hard as I thought.
-Honduran roosters don´t crow when the sunrises. They start about 3:30am to let you know the sun will be coming in a few hours and end about 11:00am once they are sure the sun is fully up.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed with you too! And, yes, I agree, America does need their passion and perspective, deeply.

    Still praying. You're joyful update is a reminder of God's faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete